Week 6 saw some unexpected outcomes. At least they were unexpected to us. We went with the upset of Father Judge over LaSalle, but LaSalle flexed their collective muscle and held off the Crusaders 28-10. We also expected School of the Future to get by Del-Val. Boy, were we wrong in picking that one. Del-Val put a whooping on the team from Future, 50-0. So, overall, we were 2-2 for the secon straight week, bringing out season record to 17-7.
It's amazing that in week 7 there really aren't many critical games to watch in the city. No powerhouse competitors like we've seen the past couple of weeks. Not many games with absolute playoff implications. So, with that said, we offer these four games in week 7.
Ben Franklin at Bok, Thurs, 6:00PM - This game will solify yet another AA division championship for coach DeFelice and his team. They will be in the catbird seat until they meet the PCL AA champion in the District championship. But, even if they lose that, they will still most likely qualify for states.
Our Pick: Bok 34 - Franklin 12
Archbishop Wood at Conwell-Egan, Friday, 7:00PM (Truman) - This game could decide who wins the PCL AAA division. But, with North Catholic playing for their lives, you can't count them out either. Both teams still have yet to play the Falcons, but in the mean time, this is the game to see in AAA.
Our Pick: Wood 34 - Conwell-Egan 10
Frankford at Overbrook, Saturday, 1:00PM (Gratz) - It's rare to see the Pioneers of Frankford in this position, but if they lose this game, they could end up in last place in the division. Because of the playoff structure in the Philly Pub, that would qualify them for the playoffs, but it could knock them out of the Red Division for next season. But, don't count them out.
Our Pick: Frankford 27 - Overbrook 14
Mastbaum at Penn, Friday, 6:00PM, (Gratz) - We're digging deep to give you a fourth game to watch this week. This game will determine who the cellar dweller is in the Pub AAA division. Both teams had higher expectations at the beginning of the season, but this is what it has come to; not much.
Our Pick: Penn 19 - Mastbaum 6
District 12 - Top Ten
1. St Joseph Prep (5-1, 3-0) (1) Last Week: Beat Ryan 55-7 - Not much to say here other than...wait until the playoffs, where the real fireworks will happen. Prep is by no means, a run away favorite to win the AAAA title in District 12. As a matter of fact, there are, at least 4 other teams who could give them a run for the money.
2. LaSalle (5-1, 2-2) (2). Last Week: Beat Judge 28-10 - LaSalle is once again healthy, as they showed last week by dismantling Judge. Look for LaSalle to run the board as the look toward the playoffs and a re-match with Prep.
3. Cardinal O'Hara (6-0, 2-0) (4). Last Week: Beat Roman 13-0 - Yes, O'Hara is 6-0 going into week 7, but they have yet to play one of the "Big 3" in the PCL (Prep, LaSalle, Judge). The only reason they moved up a spot is that they are 6-0. This will be the last of the "cream puff" part of their schedule, before taking on Prep, Judge and LaSalle to end the season. A lot can happen between now and week 10.
4. Father Judge (4-1, 1-2) (3). Last Week: Lost to LaSalle 28-10 - The Crusaders are a tough team this year, entering week 7 with a 4-2 record. Their only two losses were to the top 2 teams on this list. Look for them to be right in the thick of things when the dust settles at the end of the season.
5. Archbishop Wood (4-2, 1-1) (5) Last Week: Beat Neumann-Goretti 34-7 - The Vikings seem to be getting their stride back, but they play a very tough Conwell-Egan team this week, which may decide the division championship. We fully expect Wood to be around come the PCL championship game.
6. West Catholic (4-2, 2-0) (6). Last Week: Beat Kennedy-Kenrick 62-0 - It seems as though the Burrs didn't like losing to Wood in week 5, so they took it out on the hapless Kennedy-Kenrick team. The expectation is that the division will come down to whether or not McDevitt is up to the task. But, that game will have to wait a couple of week.
7. Northeast (4-2, 3-0) (7). Last Week: Beat Overbrook 33-7 - The Vikings are idle this week, awaiting their showdown with Frankford next week. It appears as though, with only one league game remaining, that Northeast has clinched the division title. But, who knows anymore with the way the Pub decides things like that.
8. Washington (4-2, 2-1) (8). Last Week: Beat Frankford 28-6 - Washington will be looking to make a statement this week and show the city that the defending Distirct 12 AAAA champ is still a force to be reckoned with, as they take on #9 Bartram.
9. Bartram (5-1, 1-1) (8). Last Week: Beat Mastbaum 33-6 - Bartram is 5-1 entering week 7. They split with Northeast (Loss) and Frankford (Win), and want to keep the momentum as they head into the playoffs. This week's game against Washington will tell us if they truly should be in this top ten.
10. Bishop McDevitt (6-0, 3-0) (NR). Last Week: Beat Lansdale Dougherty 42-0 - McDevitt finally broke through into the top ten with a blistering of Dougherty. Can it last for two more weeks as they make their run at West Catholic for the AA divisional championship? We'll see.
UC - Frankford, Bonner, Conwell-Egan, Bok
AAAA - Top 5
1. St Joseph Prep (5-1)
2. LaSalle (5-1)
3. Cardinal O'Hara (6-0)
4. Father Judge (4-2)
5. Northeast (4-2)
AAA - Top 5
1. Archbishop Wood (4-2)
2. Conwell-Egan (4-2)
3. Northeast Catholic (2-3)
4. Dobbins (4-2)
5. Roxborough (3-3)
AA - Top 5
1. West Catholic (4-2)
2. Bishop McDevitt (6-0)
3. Bok (6-0)
4. Cardinal Dougherty (4-2)
5. Furness (4-2)